The following resources have been compiled to help you research opportunities for continuing professional development and peer networking through live, Internet-based, and archived conferences, seminars, and workshops. These opportunities include CHAMPS’ and other regional and national events and trainings.
- Project ECHO Learning Communities
- Upcoming Live Distance Learning Events
- Online Archived Distance Learning Events
- Distance Learning Library
- Other Online Learning Resources
- CORE Competency Training for (Relatively) New CHC Supervisors and Managers
- Critical Skills for Mid-Level Managers Training
Spanish Language for Health Care Professionals
Date/Time: Friday, April 20-Monday, April 23, 2018; 8AM-5PM each day
Location: Denver Medical Society offices at 1850 Williams Street, Denver, Colorado 80218
Target Audience: The course is targeted for physicians, PAs, NPs, nurses, medical assistants, and other medical personnel. Other types of health care professionals are welcome to attend, however it is important to note that only a limited amount of time is spent on terminology for other disciplines such as oral health or behavioral health.
Event Overview: CHAMPS, in conjunction with Denver Medical Society, offers an annual medical Spanish language training for clinicians and clinical support staff at Region VIII health centers. This four-day course is an intensive, conversational and medical Spanish workshop consisting of medical dialogues, role-plays, visual aids, cross-cultural discussions, and daily practice. The course curriculum provides an experience of immersion learning, an approach that is highly suitable for those with limited time, and who must use their new language skills immediately with their Spanish-speaking patients. Only the beginner level is open for registration at this time.
Course Objectives: Participants who complete the course will:
- Acquire/strengthen ability to interview patients in Spanish, take a medical history, conduct a physical exam, give prescriptions and instructions, and intervene with medical emergencies.
- Be exposed to a Spanish vocabulary of at least 1,500 general and medical words.
- Develop a good flow of speech in present, future, and past tenses, and command forms.
- Develop an awareness of differences in attitudes between Latinos and other Americans concerning time, space, clothing, foods, health, and medical care.
- Develop skills to continue language acquisition through daily practice and experience.
- Intermediate students will be able to do all of the above using more idioms, complex tenses and moods (conditional, present and past progressive, present and past perfect tenses plus subjunctive mood and its tenses).
CME: Continuing medical education (CME) is available as follows:
- 45 prescribed hours by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- 43 hours of Category 1 CME from the American College of Emergency Physicians
- 45 contact hours of continuing education by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 43 hours of Category 1 CME from the American Medical Association.
COURSE FEES: The course fee is $649 for CHAMPS and/or DMS Members and $799 for Non-Members. Please click HERE to see a listing of CHAMPS Organizational Members.
- The registration fee includes four days of Spanish language instruction, course book, CME, and snacks.
- Full payment is due in advance. Refunds will not be provided, however, if necessary, another individual may substitute for a registrant.
- Payment should be made in the form of a check made payable to Rios Associates and mailed to CHAMPS along with the registration and self-assessment forms.
REGISTRATION: Registration for the 2018 course is open for BEGINNER Spanish speakers only. The intermediate level has reached capacity. Even those with previous Spanish language instruction may qualify for the beginner level of this fast-paced class. If you have any questions about your skill level, please contact the Programs and Communications Coordinator.
Make check payable to Rios Associates and mail check, completed registration form and self-assessment form to Rachel Steinberg, CHAMPS, 600 Grant Street, Suite 800, Denver, CO 80203. You may fax the registration form in advance to 303-861-5315 with “Attention Rachel Steinberg” or email Rachel@CHAMPSonline.org.