Please click or scroll down for:
Looking Forward to Fall 2021 in Seattle, WA
CHAMPS 2020 Awards
Registration Reimbursement for the 2020 Virtual Fall Conference
Highlights from the 2020 Virtual Fall Conference
The 2021 NWRPCA/CHAMPS Annual Primary Care Conference is scheduled to be held Saturday, October 23-Tuesday, October 26, 2021 in Seattle, WA. Please Check this website again in the spring of 2021 for more details.
Each year, CHAMPS presents awards to staff and board members of Region VIII Health Centers and related organizations to recognize exceptional contributions to the health center community. Over the years this process has allowed CHAMPS to honor numerous highly deserving individuals from across the region for their outstanding advocacy, leadership, and dedication to the health center mission. 2020 CHAMPS Awardees were honored during a virtual ceremony on Friday, November 20, 2020.
Please visit the CHAMPS Awards webpage for details about current awardees and those from prior years.
2020 CHAMPS/NWRPCA Virtual Fall Primary Care Conference registration reimbursement is available to CHAMPS Organizational Member health centers in good standing as of October 18, 2020. Each CHAMPS Organizational Member health center is entitled to reimbursement for two registration fees: one administrative and one clinical (total value up to $900). Health center staff who are eligible for the administrative registration reimbursement include line staff, medical support staff, and mid-level managers and supervisors as well as health center board members; Executive Directors/CEOs are not eligible. Health center providers who are eligible for the clinical registration reimbursement include clinicians working 0.50 FTE or greater as medical, behavioral, or oral health providers. Registration reimbursement requests will be accepted beginning October 23rd; reimbursement will be processed after the conference has concluded. Reimbursement requests will only be accepted with proof of payment. Only one Reimbursement Request Form per member organization including both registration reimbursement requests will be accepted.
Click HERE to download the CHAMPS 2020 Fall Conference Registration Reimbursement Request Form.
Forms are due by 12/15/20.
CHAMPS and Northwest Regional Primary Care Association (NWRPCA) welcomed attendees, exhibitors, and presenters from across the nation at this past year’s Annual Primary Care Conference held virtually October 19-22, 2020. Participants enjoyed formal and informal networking and educational opportunities with clinicians, board members, and administrative staff from health centers, Primary Care Associations, governmental offices, and related organizations in Regions VIII (Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming) and X (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington), and across the country. If you attended the conference you can access the Learning Vault to see recordings and access handouts and resources.
The 2020 conference theme was “Leading in a New Landscape,” reflecting the extraordinary times we were all facing and the exceptional and inspiring leadership of Region 18 Community Health Centers. The months leading up to the CHAMPS/NWRPCA Virtual Fall Primary Care Conference demonstrated the ability of Community Health Centers to adapt and innovate to effectively address unforeseen challenges, even in the most uncertain times. This theme honored Community Health Centers and their dedicated staff and board members who continued to lead their organizations and communities with compassion and excellence.
At the Opening Plenary on Monday morning, conference participants enjoyed HRSA and NACHC Updates focusing on the current policy and healthcare environment. Speakers included:
- Lathran Johnson Woodard, Board Chair, NACHC
- Dr. Luis Padilla, Associate Administrator for Health Workforce, Bureau of Health Workforce
- Jim Macrae, Associate Administrator, Bureau of Primary Health Care
During the Super Sessions on Monday afternoon, conference participants heard from experts in the field on 340B Pharmacy programming and the 2020 national elections’ impact on health care policy. Speakers included:
- Colleen Meiman, Director of Regulatory Affairs, NACHC
- Tim Mallett, Director of Pharmacy, 340Basics
- Amy Jensen Cunniffe, Co-Founder, SplitOak Strategies, Government Relations Lead, Numotion
- Rachel A. Gonzales-Hanson, Senior Vice President of the Western Division, NACHC
The conference offered attendees a broad range of educational and networking sessions organized around the following tracks: Board Governance & Leadership, Clinical, Fiscal, Healthy Communities, HR/Workforce, and Operations. More than 40 sessions, intensives, roundtable lunches, breakout meetings, and plenary sessions provided rich opportunities to learn from clinicians, administrators, and board members in Regions VIII and X, and from other regional and national consultants and partners. Continuing Education credit hours were offered for physicians, nurses, accountants, human resources professionals, social workers, and board members.
Roundtables held over several days for Board Members, Chief Executive Officers, and attendees of each track. These gave conference participants the opportunity to collaborate with other experts in their fields.
THE CONFERENCE FEATURED DIVERSE TRACKS & SESSIONS, INCLUDING:
Three days of essential Board Governance & Leadership sessions:
- CHC 101: Introduction to the Community Health Center Movement
- What Makes a Great CHC Board Member?
- From Triage to Transition: Revisiting Strategic Plans in Turbulent Environments
- Capital Development: Building Upon What We Know
- Successfully Leading & Driving Change (Even During These Challenging Times)
Three days of energizing Clinical sessions:
- Improving Clinical Outcomes for People Experiencing Homelessness
- The Secret Sauce for Improving Chronic Disease Management
- Infectious Disease Medicine in the COVID-19 Era
- Improving Depression Among LGBTQIA+ People: Screening & Culturally Responsive Care
- Telehealth Promising Practices & Clinical Technique for Effective Virtual Encounters
Three days of engaging Fiscal sessions:
- Creating the Return on Investment for Care Management
- Workforce Benchmarking & Trends: Region 18 Salary Survey Results
- Easing the Transition to Value-Based Care & Payment
- Telehealth Billing During COVID-19 for Traditional Medicare & Medicaid
- RCM Preparedness in the Wake of COVID- 19
Three days of enlightening Healthy Communities sessions:
- Responding to COVID-19 Disparities with Anti-Racist Leadership
- First Steps in Anti-Racist Organizational Development: A Facilitated Discussion
- Building Capacity for Social Risk Assessments
- Using Supportive Housing & SDOH to Build a Healthier Community
- Supporting Latinos & Migrant/Seasonal Farm Workers during COVID-19
Three days of informative HR/Workforce sessions:
- Recruitment & Retention: The Diamond in the Rough
- Developing a Grow Your-Own Workforce Strategy: Residencies & Beyond
- COVID-19 & Social Justice: Practical Workforce Strategies for Health Centers
- Reaching Out with Technology: Workforce Strategies for Health Centers
- Resiliency in Uncertain Times
Three days of essential Operations sessions:
- Beyond Medical Care: Serving Special Populations during COVID-19
- Breaking Status Quo & Re-Imagining Patient Experience in a Crisis
- CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule
- How COVID-19 Infected HIPAA
- Care Coordinators in Chronic Opioid Management: Improving Patient Outcomes
Video recordings of the 2020 CHAMPS/ NWRPCA Fall Primary Care Conference are available for conference participants in NWRPCA’s Learning Vault (login required). To access these recordings, navigate to the Learning Vault website and enter your email address and password. Once you are logged in, click on “My Events” and then on the “view details” link next to the 2020 Fall Primary Care Conference. Next, click the “Sessions” button. Locate the conference session that you would like to view and click the “view” link beside it. If a recording is available, it will appear as an embedded video at the very top of the “Session Details” page. Click the play arrow in the center of the video to start.
Many session and plenary speakers provided electronic versions of their presentations, which have been posted in NWRPCA’s Learning Vault (login required) and are available to conference attendees. To access these handouts, navigate to the Learning Vault website and enter your email address and password. Once you are logged in, click on “My Events” and then on the “view details” link next to the 2020 Fall Primary Care Conference. Next, click the “Sessions” button. Locate the conference session for which you would like to access the handouts and click the “view” link beside it. To access the handouts associated with a session, click the “View All Session Files” link.
The Annual Conference is more than educational sessions and plenary speeches! Participants had other formal and informal ways to learn about resources, win prizes, and inspire one another.
The Virtual Exhibit Hall Introduction and Walkthrough on Monday morning offered a quick introduction to our new virtual exhibit hall.
Throughout the conference, attendees had the opportunity to meet with vendors in virtual meeting rooms. Vendors included 340Basics, CareOregon, CHAMPS, Community Health Ventures, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline, i2i Population Health, Jackson Physician Search, McKesson Medical-Surgical, Mutual of American Financial Group, Nonstop Wellness, NWRPCA/ATSU, Shriners Hospital for Children – Northern California, Shriners Hospitals for Children – Spokane, UW Psychiatry Consultation Line. Thank you to all our vendors!
Throughout the conference attendees became Raffle Winners.
Winners of a free 2021 NWRPCA/CHAMPS Fall Conference registration included:
- Sherry Catlett, HealthPoint Seattle, WA
- Vicki Sulser, RN, BSN, Program Manager, RiverStone Health, Billings MT
- Melanee Tiura, Chief Executive Officer, Iliuliuk Family and Health Services, Inc., Unalaska, AK
Congratulations to all!
Three designated Lunch & Learns took place on Tuesday and Wednesday of the conference with opportunities sponsored by Accuvax By Trumed, Mutual of America, and Pfizer Vaccines. Thank you to our Conference Sponsors, Track Session Sponsors, Lunch & Learn Sponsors, and Roundtable Sponsors!
Click HERE to view a photo journal from the 2020 conference!
In support of health center staff, clinicians, administrators, and board members pursuing professional development, CHAMPS/NWRPCA conferences are a consistent source of continuing education units (CEU). This year we have been approved to provide the following CEU opportunities: continuing medical education (CME), continuing nursing education (CNE), continuing professional education (CPE), and continuing social work and counseling education (NASW). We are awaiting the approval for the continuing human resources credit (HR).
CEU certificates are processed by NWRPCA after the conference ends and may take several weeks to receive. Please contact the CHAMPS Clinical Quality Improvement Director if you have any questions regarding CEUs.